pylab package dependencies

Lou Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Oct 17 14:24:26 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.650.1161106780.11739.python-list at python.org>,
 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is pylab part of matplotlib?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I always thought it was the other way
> > around. I have a similar view of numpy as part of scipy.
>
> It is not.
>
> > Maybe I'm
> > confused on the dependencies.  I find it confusing in the examples
> > sometimes when the "bigger" package is imported (e.g. scipy) and then a
> > "subpackage" is also imported.  Like this:
> >
> > from scipi import *
> > from scipi import numpy
>
> The latter would definitely be bad form if it worked. numpy is a package all
> by
> itself and should be imported by itself.
>
> > I know I've seen stuff like that, but I don't get it.  The dependencies
> > are confusing to me.
>
> pylab is a module provided with matplotlib that exposes a nice interface for
> certain purposes. Somewhat confusingly, it is provided in two places, as its
> own
> module:
>
>    import pylab
>
> and as a submodule in the matplotlib package:
>
>    from matplotlib import pylab
>
> Both do the same thing. You get to ask John Hunter if you want to know the
> whys
> and wherefores.

[cut]

Got it.  Thanks, Robert, for the quick tutorial.  It's a lot clearer now.

Now, to just remember it.

By the way, from what I have seen so far they are beautiful packages.

The only problem I'm having is getting ipython to run.  Not installed in
/usr/local/bin (although all other IPython files look to be installed in
/Library/Framewaorks/python...blah/site-packages).  I'm still searching
the web sites for answers.

But all else seems to run pretty smoothly.

-- Lou Pecora  (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.