pylab package dependencies

Lou Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Oct 17 19:48:35 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.661.1161121277.11739.python-list at python.org>,
 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I assume you are telling me to install ipython from a tar distribution
> > using setup etc.  I originally installed it from the SciPy Super Pack
> > which apparently put in the site packages, but neglected the script in
> > /usr/local/bin.  Sound right?
>
> Indeed. The SuperPack is broken and does not contain the ipython script. It
> also
> puts the documentation in the wrong place.
>
> ipython is a pure-Python package and easy to install from source.

Bingo!  Now it is clear why I am having problems.  I will install from
source as you suggest.  Looks pretty straightforward.

Sorry to hear the SuperPack is broken.  It's a nice idea for us users.
Other packages seem to be working fine.  Any chance it will be fixed?

> > On the ipython web site for MacOS X it says to do the following after
> > the install using python setup.py etc. in the extracted directories,
> >
> > python?setup.py?install_scripts?--install-dir=/usr/local/bin
> >
> > Is that what you are suggesting with the pydistutils.cfg ?
>
> Yes, it does the same thing, only it will apply to all packages (probably
> what
> you want) and you only have to do it once instead of remembering to do it
> every
> time.

Robert,  thanks for the insight and the solution.

-- Lou Pecora  (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.