Python component model

Edward Diener No Spam eldiener_no_spam_here at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 9 13:59:18 EDT 2006

The definition of a component model I use below is a class which allows
properties, methods, and events in a structured way which can be
recognized, usually through some form of introspection outside of that
class. This structured way allows visual tools to host components, and
allows programmers to build applications and libraries visually in a RAD
environment.

The Java language has JavaBeans as its component model which allows Java
applications to be built in a visual RAD way. Microsoft's .Net has a
component model built-in to its .Net class libraries as well as
supported by CLR which allows .Net applications to be built visually
using components created in any .Net supported language.

With Python things are different. There is no single component model
which allows Python developers to build components which will be used
and recognized by the various RAD Python tools on the market. Instead a
developer must create a slightly different set of Python classes for
each RAD Python tool. This is the situation despite Python's having
easily as much functionality, if not much more, as Java or .Net
languages such as C#, VB, or C++/CLI for creating components, and for
allowing visual tools to introspect the properties, methods, and events
of Python classes.

I believe that Python should have a common components model for all RAD
development environments, as that would allow the Python programmer to
create a set of classes representing components which would work in any
environment. I want to immediately point out that components do not
simply mean visual GUI components but what may be even more important,
non-visual components. Having used RAD development environments to
create applications, I have found such environments almost always much
better than coding complex interactions manually, and I believe that
visual development environments are almost a necessity in today's world
of large-scale, multi-tier, and enterprise applications.

Has there ever been, or is there presently anybody, in the Python
developer community who sees the same need and is working toward that
goal of a common component model in Python, blessed and encouraged by
those who maintain the Python language and standard modules themselves ?