Which one is better for me , SIP or SWIG ?

fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 09:04:45 EST 2006

Hi all,

I am going to generate a python wrapper of a C library, and I am
wondering which one is a better tool for me, SIP or SWIG ?

SWIG supports many scripting languages such as python, ruby, and perl,
while SIP is specific to python, so I think maybe SIP is more suitable
to generate better wrappers(sorry for my ignorance if I am wrong at this
point) with python.

But it seems that SIP is mainly used for pyQT and hasn't gained general
acceptance with python community.

Could someone give me a better comparison of SIP and SWIG ?

My concerns:

  1. I just want an python wrapper for C/C++ code. The support of other
scripting languages is not important.

  2. Easy to learn and easy to use.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

xiaojf