Which one is better for me , SIP or SWIG ?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Nov 18 06:21:17 EST 2006

fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I am going to generate a python wrapper of a C library, and I am
> wondering which one is a better tool for me, SIP or SWIG ?
>
> SWIG supports many scripting languages such as python, ruby, and perl,
> while SIP is specific to python, so I think maybe SIP is more suitable
> to generate better wrappers(sorry for my ignorance if I am wrong at this
> point) with python.
>
> But it seems that SIP is mainly used for pyQT and hasn't gained general
> acceptance with python community.
>
> Could someone give me a better comparison of SIP and SWIG ?
>
> My concerns:
>
>  1. I just want an python wrapper for C/C++ code. The support of other
> scripting languages is not important.
>
>  2. Easy to learn and easy to use.

The reasons SIP hasn't gained more attraction are dark to me. At least
when it comes to C++, it's support is waaay better than SWIG. There also
exists some Boost Python stuff, but I never wrapped my head around that.

However, if you are "only" wrapping C, pyrex is my tool of choice. It
has build-in distutils support, and it is very easy to write. So if you
can, go with pyrex. If you must wrap C++, go with SIP - boost
non-withstanding.

Diez