proof of concept python and tkinter gnugo interface

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 18:19:40 EST 2006

For the last few days I've been doodling with a script that provides a
graphical interface to gnugo by using its GTP protocol. At the moment
the script is *very* basic, in fact the only thing it does is to allow
one to click on a coordinate and place a move there OR press the space
bar in order to let gnugo generate a move.

However, I feel that this idea has some potential, it could be made to
undo or redo moves or load sgf-games. But most importantly: It could
load the list of move suggestions from gnugo, do some computations
itself in *Python* on that list and then generate a move.

So I thought that it would be best to present this script while it is
still small and modifications can be done easily. In the end there's
possibly a lot of potential and I think I'm going to need some help from
people that are enthousiastic about Python or gnugo.

What I want to accomplish with this post is to get to know whether it
would be a good idea to make it  a sourceforge project (it would be even
better if some more experienced sourceforger would do it for me :-) or
whether I should just go on doodling on this script by myself, gradually
adapting it to fit my personal interests and come back to you in a few
years with a more complete script.

Is there any need for such a beast for *more* people than just me to
work on?

Here's the proof of concept, just copy it to some dir and run the Python
script:

http://home.hccnet.nl/a.vredegoor/gnugo/

It needs Python 2.5 which you can get at:

http://www.python.org/

Anton