proof of concept python and tkinter gnugo interface

grindel grindel1 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 06:05:27 EST 2006

Anton Vredegoor wrote:
> For the last few days I've been doodling with a script that provides a
> graphical interface to gnugo by using its GTP protocol. At the moment
> the script is *very* basic, in fact the only thing it does is to allow
> one to click on a coordinate and place a move there OR press the space
> bar in order to let gnugo generate a move.
>
> However, I feel that this idea has some potential, it could be made to
> undo or redo moves or load sgf-games. But most importantly: It could
> load the list of move suggestions from gnugo, do some computations
> itself in *Python* on that list and then generate a move.
>
> So I thought that it would be best to present this script while it is
> still small and modifications can be done easily. In the end there's
> possibly a lot of potential and I think I'm going to need some help from
> people that are enthousiastic about Python or gnugo.
>
> What I want to accomplish with this post is to get to know whether it
> would be a good idea to make it  a sourceforge project (it would be even
> better if some more experienced sourceforger would do it for me :-) or
> whether I should just go on doodling on this script by myself, gradually
> adapting it to fit my personal interests and come back to you in a few
> years with a more complete script.
>
> Is there any need for such a beast for *more* people than just me to
> work on?
>
> Here's the proof of concept, just copy it to some dir and run the Python
> script:
>
> http://home.hccnet.nl/a.vredegoor/gnugo/
>
> It needs Python 2.5 which you can get at:
>
> http://www.python.org/
>
> Anton
If you talking about a simple gui for gnu go it's been done to death.
see any misc. pandanet client and numerous other softwares such as
durish or go knot. If your client is going to do something uniquely
different from programs like this then you should focus in this aspect
of the program and develop other features later. It's also important
that it be able to read and write sgf files