gopherlib deprecated in 2.5

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 22 14:52:28 EST 2006

"Szabolcs Nagy" <nszabolcs at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1164189280.934651.290790 at m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
> I've just seen that gopherlib is deprecated in python 2.5
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-gopherlib.html
>
> we still use this protocol (though there are only few working gopher
> servers are left on the net)
>
> My friend just wrote a standard compliant gopher server (pygopherd had
> some problems oslt) and it's much better for hierarchycal content
> sharing than the http (which is overrated and misused in this respect).
>
> So i don't really understand why would one remove it from python. It's
> a friendly, tiny, simple, standard protocol.

The devolopers thought that perhaps gopherlib was unused in new or
updated-to-new releases code.  Even if it is by a few, there is still the
question of whether gopherlib should be in the stdlib in preference to
modules that would be useful to more people or whether it should be a
downloadable module at PyPI.  The latter would require someone to take
ownership of it.

You might consider posting a note on py dev (easily accessible via gmane)
to let them know there is at least one current user.

Terry Jan Reedy