gopherlib deprecated in 2.5

Szabolcs Nagy nszabolcs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 04:54:41 EST 2006

I've just seen that gopherlib is deprecated in python 2.5
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-gopherlib.html

we still use this protocol (though there are only few working gopher
servers are left on the net)

My friend just wrote a standard compliant gopher server (pygopherd had
some problems oslt) and it's much better for hierarchycal content
sharing than the http (which is overrated and misused in this respect).

So i don't really understand why would one remove it from python. It's
a friendly, tiny, simple, standard protocol.

what is the opinion of the comp.lang.python crowd?