Exploiting Dual Core's with Py_NewInterpreter's separated GIL ?

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.invalid
Thu Nov 9 14:31:33 EST 2006

sturlamolden wrote:
> robert wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use multiple CPU cores for selected time consuming Python computations (incl. numpy/scipy) in a frictionless manner.
>
> Threading is not the best way to exploit multiprocessors in this
> context. Threads are not the preferred way of exploiting multiple
> processors in scientific computing.

You repeat on the simple bulk jobs in sci computing where a file batch interface is enough:
Process X works on input file Y and writes output to file Z. A manager script collects the results and creates a gnuplot diagramm.
Such things of course would not raise the question of this discussion. Not even the question of threads at all and MPI ...

-robert