Exploiting Dual Core's with Py_NewInterpreter's separated GIL ?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 8 16:14:20 EST 2006

Ross Ridge schrieb:
> The problem your describing isn't that reference counting hasn't been
> made safe.  What you and Joe seem to be trying to say is that atomic
> increment and decrement instructions alone don't make accessing shared
> structure members safe.

All I can do is to repeat Joe's words literally
"Atomic increment and decrement instructions are not by themselves
sufficient to make reference counting safe."

Replace "by themselves" with "alone", and "reference counting"
with "reference counting in the presence of shared structure
members", and you find that your statement and Joe's are equivalent.
*Of course* reference counting is about shared structure members.
That's it's primary purpose.

Regards,
Martin