Exploiting Dual Core's with Py_NewInterpreter's separated GIL ?

Joe Seigh jseigh_01 at xemaps.com
Tue Nov 7 16:13:33 EST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> You still didn't say what you would suggest to make it thread-safe
> again; most likely, you proposal would be to add locking. If I
> understand Joe's approach correctly, he has a solution that does
> not involve locking (although I don't understand how it works).

Sun had applied for a patent on it.  You can go to the
uspto search page here http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html
and look for

20060218561 Code preparation technique employing lock-free pointer operations
20060037026 Lightweight reference counting using single-target synchronization

Click on the images link on the patent application where the illustrations
are which show the concepts probably better than the text.

The first one above is actually a continuation patent on three different
techniques.  One using double wide compare and swap, one using ROP (Repeat
Offender Problem), a form of PDR, and one using DCAS (compare and swap
of two separate locations) which only exists on MC68020 and MC68030
processors.

--
Joe Seigh

When you get lemons, you make lemonade.