How to choose the right GUI toolkit ?

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Fri Nov 10 03:11:46 EST 2006

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:51:31 +0100, Dan Lenski <dlenski at gmail.com> wrote:

> One other thing I'm wondering: how exactly does Tkinter work?  Is the
> whole Tk toolkit bound up as library of low-level C code, or does
> Tkinter sit on top of a Tcl interpreter?

The latter: there is a tiny C layer allowing Python to call an embedded
tcl interpreter.

> If the latter, that might explain why it is frustratingly slow on
> Cygwin... since Cygwin is not very good at starting up new processes in
> a timely manner.

There is no other process involved: the interpreter is embedded, just as a
Python interpreter can be embedded in a C application. If you want to work
with Tkinter on Windows, you'd better avoid Cygwin. Python with Tkinter
works just fine on Windows, just as it works on any other platform, and is
fully portable, just as tcl/tk is.

HTH
'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"