which windows python to use?

Don Taylor nospamformeSVP at gmail.com
Fri May 12 17:32:13 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

>>Which C compiler will you be using for the Enthought 2.4 Windows release?
>

> Define "using". We build Python with whatever compiler the official build is
> compiled with. In this case, MSVC 7.<mumble>, I think . For this release, we
> will ship the latest available gcc available for mingw. Some of the extension
> modules will be built with this gcc.

I meant to build Python itself.

I asked because I was interested in trying your Traits package but could
not use it with Python 2.4.  I don't have MSVC 7 and I was intimidated
by the prospect of building the CTraits extension with either the free
MS toolkit or mingw and munging the dlls to conform to the MSVC 7 formats.

I just wondered if Enthought's distro for Windows was gcc-based.

Don.