A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Tue May 9 01:44:58 EDT 2006

Joe Marshall <eval.apply at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't Google also employ such people as the inventor of Limbo
> programming language, one of the inventors of Dylan, and a Smalltalk
> expert?

...not to mention Lisp gurus (such as Peter Norvig), C++ gurus (such as
Matt Austern) and Java ones (such as Josh Bloch) [[and I'm certainly
forgetting many!]].

The difference, if any, is that gurus of Java, C++ and Python get to
practice and/or keep developing their respectively favorite languages
(since those three are the "blessed" general purpose languages for
Google - I say "general purpose" to avoid listing javascript for
within-browser interactivity, SQL for databases, XML for data
interchange, HTML for web output, &c, &c), while the gurus of Lisp,
Limbo, Dylan and Smalltalk don't (Rob Pike, for example, is one of the
architects of sawzall -- I already pointed to the whitepaper on that
special-purpose language, and he co-authored that paper, too).

Alex