A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue May 9 10:43:52 EDT 2006

>>>>> "Alex" == Alex Martelli <aleax at mac.com> writes:

Alex> The difference, if any, is that gurus of Java, C++ and Python get to
Alex> practice and/or keep developing their respectively favorite languages
Alex> (since those three are the "blessed" general purpose languages for
Alex> Google - I say "general purpose" to avoid listing javascript for
Alex> within-browser interactivity, SQL for databases, XML for data
Alex> interchange, HTML for web output, &c, &c), while the gurus of Lisp,
Alex> Limbo, Dylan and Smalltalk don't (Rob Pike, for example, is one of the
Alex> architects of sawzall -- I already pointed to the whitepaper on that
Alex> special-purpose language, and he co-authored that paper, too).

That's crazy.  Some of the key developers of Smalltalk continue to work
on the Squeak project (Alan Kay, Dan Ingalls, and I'm leaving someone
out, I know it...).  So please remove Smalltalk from that list.