Pyrex installation on windows XP: step-by-step guide

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun May 21 21:43:08 EDT 2006

Gonzalo Monzón wrote:
> sturlamolden escribió:

>>I don't think this is safe. MinGW links with msvcrt.dll whereas the
>>main Python distribution links with msvcr71.dll (due to Visual C++
>>2003).  It is not safe to mix and blend different C runtime libraries.
>>If you are to build a C extension with MinGW, you also need to build
>>Python against msvcrt.dll, i.e. you have to use a Python built with
>>MinGW or Visual C++ 6.0. There other option is to make MinGW link
>>against msvcr71.dll. I don't know if that is feasible.
>
> I use Python 2.4.3 (msvcrt71) and I succesfully installed the last
> version of binutils, pyrex and MinGW, some weeks ago, using Julien Fiore
> step-by-step guide, so "my" MinGW is linking with msvcrt71.dll, with the
> default configuration.
>
> I don't understand why do you say MinGW links with msvcrt.dll... perhaps
> you've got an older version than the ones Julien posted?

Nope. He said it because it is true. Use Dependency Walker
(http://www.dependencywalker.com) to see for yourself what DLLs are linked in.
In fact, *both* DLLs are linked in. Sometimes this works fine, other times it
does not.

If you would like a more visceral demonstration, write a small C++ extension
that uses std::cout.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."