Pyrex installation on windows XP: step-by-step guide

Gonzalo Monzón gmc at serveisw3.net
Sun May 21 20:09:41 EDT 2006

sturlamolden escribió:

>Julien Fiore wrote:
>

>># step A.3 #
>>Install Mingw, the gcc compiler for Windows, available at
>>http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml. (we downloaded the file
>>MinGW-5.0.2.exe and installed only the "base tool" (this includes
>>mingw-runtime 3.9, w32api-3.6, binutils 2.15.91 and gcc-core 3.4.2).
>>Add Mingw path ("C:\MinGW\bin") to the Windows "Path" environment
>>variable. If you already have cygwin installed, add C:\MinGW\bin before
>>the Cygwin path.
>>

>I don't think this is safe. MinGW links with msvcrt.dll whereas the
>main Python distribution links with msvcr71.dll (due to Visual C++
>2003).  It is not safe to mix and blend different C runtime libraries.
>If you are to build a C extension with MinGW, you also need to build
>Python against msvcrt.dll, i.e. you have to use a Python built with
>MinGW or Visual C++ 6.0. There other option is to make MinGW link
>against msvcr71.dll. I don't know if that is feasible.

I use Python 2.4.3 (msvcrt71) and I succesfully installed the last
version of binutils, pyrex and MinGW, some weeks ago, using Julien Fiore
step-by-step guide, so "my" MinGW is linking with msvcrt71.dll, with the
default configuration.

I don't understand why do you say MinGW links with msvcrt.dll... perhaps
you've got an older version than the ones Julien posted?

Hope it helps,
Gonzalo.