python 2.5a2, gcc 4.1 and memory problems

Michele Petrazzo michele.petrazzo at TOGLIunipex.it
Mon May 8 04:18:19 EDT 2006

nnorwitz at gmail.com wrote:
> Michele Petrazzo wrote:
>> I haven't tried to recompile py 2.4 myself with gcc 4.1 because it
>> is already compiled with it (4.0.3), so I think (only think) that
>> is a py 2.5 problem. I'm right? or I have to compile it with
>> something other switches?
>
> Sounds like a gcc problem to me.  Try adding --with-pydebug in the
> configure options.  My guess is that it will work.  This option
> enables asserts, but more importantly disables optimization.

Yes, with this option it work, but has very bad performances.

> My guess is that this is an optimization problem with gcc.  I assume
>  -fno-strict-aliasing is one of the gcc flags.  It should be as this
> is required for building python.

Yes, I specify that flag for compiling, but still the same... Always
problems. Also tried with --without-pymalloc and no changes.

> Cheers, n

I think that I'll wait for the firsts debian packages, or compile it
with gcc 3.3.

Thanks,
Michele