python 2.5a2, gcc 4.1 and memory problems

nnorwitz at gmail.com nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sat May 6 22:37:29 EDT 2006

Michele Petrazzo wrote:

> I haven't tried to recompile py 2.4 myself with gcc 4.1 because it is
> already compiled with it (4.0.3), so I think (only think) that is a py
> 2.5 problem.
> I'm right? or I have to compile it with something other switches?

Sounds like a gcc problem to me.  Try adding --with-pydebug in the
configure options.  My guess is that it will work.  This option enables
asserts, but more importantly disables optimization.  My guess is that
this is an optimization problem with gcc.  I assume
-fno-strict-aliasing is one of the gcc flags.  It should be as this is
required for building python.

Cheers,