Watching serial port activity.

Peter Corlett abuse at dopiaza.cabal.org.uk
Tue May 30 10:12:39 EDT 2006

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
[...]
> Under Linux there isn't really anything. IIRC, many years ago, somebody
> had written a kernel module that inserted itself between application and
> serial port and logged operations, but the last time I tried to find it, I
> was unsuccessful.

A dirty hack that might work is to rename /dev/ttyS* off somewhere else and
replace them with named pipes. Have a process monitor the named pipes and
relay data back and forth to the actual serial ports while logging it. The
serial ioctls won't work to the named pipe, but the application might not
notice it failed.

But this is probably way too advanced for the OP.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key