installing numpy

Gary Wessle phddas at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 16:32:16 EDT 2006

"Raymond L. Buvel" <levub137 at wi.rr.com> writes:

> Gary Wessle wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to install NumPy in my debian/testing linux
> > 2.6.15-1-686.
> >
> <snip>
>
> When installing from source on a Debian system, you want the installed
> package to wind up in /usr/local/lib/python2.x/site-packages (where x
> represents the version of Python you are running the installer from).
> This allows you to keep it separate from the apt managed directories and
> allows for easy removal/upgrade.  So the command you want to execute
> from root is
>
> python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local

sorry if this is boring since I am not a seasoned Linux user.

setup.py isn't located at the root, do you mean, execute the command above
from root, as to do this
:~$ cd /
:/$ python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local
or
:/$ python home/fred/numpy-0.9.6/setup.py install --pref...
or AS root
:/# python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local
or
:/# python home/fred/numpy-0.9.6/setup.py install --pref...

> By the way, to get NymPy to use the high-performance libraries, you must
> install these libraries and the associated -dev packages before running
> the Python install.

I wish to know the debian names for those packages, my first guess
would be refblas3 under testing since blas is not available for
debian/testing, there is also
refblas3-dev  Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines 3, static library
which I don't have installed.

would refblas3 be all what NymPy need to the high-performance?

thanks