installing numpy

Raymond L. Buvel levub137 at wi.rr.com
Tue May 9 08:30:58 EDT 2006

Gary Wessle wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install NumPy in my debian/testing linux
> 2.6.15-1-686.

<snip>

When installing from source on a Debian system, you want the installed
package to wind up in /usr/local/lib/python2.x/site-packages (where x
represents the version of Python you are running the installer from).
This allows you to keep it separate from the apt managed directories and
allows for easy removal/upgrade.  So the command you want to execute
from root is

python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local

By the way, to get NymPy to use the high-performance libraries, you must
install these libraries and the associated -dev packages before running
the Python install.