Problem with Tkinter on Mac OS X

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon May 15 03:43:05 EDT 2006

Jean Richelle schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I installed version 2.4.1 (and I tried also with 2.4.3) of Python under
> 10.3.9 (and 10.4.6), and I trying to use Tkinter.  For simplicity I'm
> testing the "hello world" that I found in the documentation.
> I first launch IDLE,  write (cut and paste from the web) the program in
> an editing window, save it, and then run it. The window with two buttons
> is displayed in the back of the IDLE window (and I cannot bring it to
> the front), and there nothing happening when I click either button.
> Did anybody do a fresh install recently and can run program using Tkinter ?

MacOs is somewhat peculiar when it comes to running GUI-apps. What you
ususally want to (or better have to do) is to cretae a so-called
application bungle. There are several ways to do so - I frequenmtly code
PyObjc-Applications and use xcode + the distutils py2app-extension. The
latter one should work for Tkinter, too.

Then with my MacPython distro, there came a mac-specific IDE that also
allowed to save a script as application.

I sugegst you read up on the whole subject here:

http://pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ

and here

http://pythonmac.org/wiki/py2app

Diez