John Bokma harassment

Tim X timx at nospam.dev.null
Thu May 25 04:40:38 EDT 2006

Mitch <spudtheimpaler at hotORgooMAIL.invalid> writes:

> John Bokma wrote:
>> Mitch <spudtheimpaler at hotORgooMAIL.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> John Bokma wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> Walk in line with the rest of the world?  Pah.
>>>
>>> This is no-ones back garden.
>> Funny how people who always think they can "change Usenet" have no
>> clue about what Usenet is and how it works in the first place.
>
> Who said anything about changing it?  I like it just the way it is.
>
>> Usenet is just that, each server participating can be thought of as
>> being the back yard of the news master.
>
> Sure, each server has terms and conditions that apply, doesn't mean
> you should be able to ban people from speaking just because you don't
> like what they say.  My point is that this isn't *your* back garden,
> it isn't *my* back garden.  It isn't something I own, and it *IS*
> something I can filter and/or ignore.  Someone shouting in your back
> garden is a whole different ball game where your desires prevail.  Not
> here.  You know what you are getting into when you sign in, and it is
> your responsibility to deal with those you don't agree with
> personally.
>
> I understand you consider his writings spam, and so can see why you
> have reported him.  All I'm saying is that as long as the articles are
> remotely on topic, I believe he has a right to post his opinions here.
>
>> If you have no clue about how Usenet works, first read up a bit.
>> What a Usenet server is, a feed, and how Usenet is distributed.
>> And then come back if you finally have something to say that you can
>> back up.
>>

> Thankfully I'm aware enough of all the above that I don't feel the need.
>
> As these are all opinions, I don't see any need to "back up" any of it.

Personally, I think this is getting a bit out of hand. Originally,
John and others suggested reporting Xah to his ISP for spamming
multiple groups. There was never any suggestion I have seen (except
from Xah himself) that the objective was to gag his "contraversial"
thoughts/comments/ideas. I have no problem with him posting comments
which are relevant to the group he posts to. However, I do object to
anyone who has the arrogance to believe their opinions are so
important they should be posted to any remotely related group they can
think of.

I don't agree with nearly 99% of what Xah says - he often raises a
well known issue (i've not seen anything original yet), outlines it
reasonably well, but then proposes solutions which strike me as being
very poorly considered or narrow of thought. He also tends to look at
something for a couple of days and then rubbish it with a tone of
authority and experience he obviously hasn't yet obtained.

However, he has just as much right to do so as anyone else and
therefore, its not because of his content he should be reported - its
because of his irresponsability in how he distributes it.

I also seem to remember a page on his website from a couple of years
back in which he admits enjoying trolling and starting flame wars -
but I can't find it now, so maybe I'm mistaken. However, I suspect
this is the main motivation for his posts rather than a genuine desire
to solve problems he perceives. At any rate, its not
like he hasn't been told his constant behavior of mass cross posting
was considered bad form - he has been told many many times and just
ignores it.

If someone wrote up there essays and got them printed on millions of
leaflets which they then dumped all over the place, would you be
outraged when they were fined for littering and claim their right to
free speech was being gagged? Of course not. This is the same. I think
most would have no problem with Xah posting if he did it in a
responsible manner.

Note that normally I try to remove all the cross posted groups in
replies to Xah's thread, but this time, I'm leaving them as I feel the
nature of this thread warrants it. If you disagree, please don't
hesitate to report me to my ISP as I'm more than willing to defend my
decision. If I lose, there not an ISP I'd want to stay with anyway!

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au