Quoting relevant material for response (was: Re: python vs perl lines of code)

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Fri May 19 12:46:35 EDT 2006

OT, sort of, but...

akameswaran at gmail.com wrote:
>If  that
> quoting mechanism is available on the web interface and I haven't found
> it - I'd love to know how to use it.

Click "show options" and THEN hit "reply". It's a bit counterintuitive,
but the entire message to which you reply is then shown. It is best to
(as I've just done) erase the parts you aren't replying to.

If you are replying to multiple selected parts of the message it is
good form to indicate the gaps with ellipses ("...").

It's worth noting that this group predates Google by severalyears, that
usenet predates it by well over a decade, and that Google is only one
of several alternative ways of participating (though it is my own
preference) and that its conventions have emerged for good reasons.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/Google_Groups

mt