Quoting relevant material for response (was: Re: python vs perl lines of code)

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Thu May 18 22:13:41 EDT 2006

http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213

> Also i use the threaded view on
> the web client, so I have little trouble figuring out what is being
> referenced.

I mark messages as read when I have read them, so without a context I have
no idea what "Joh, I disagree" (for example) is about, especially since I
don't just post one message a day.

Also, due to how Usenet works, not everybody sees the messages in the same
order as you do, or might even miss out a message or two (or several).

Finally, since Google provides a search engine for Usenet, it might be
perfectly possible that your reply without a quote is the first result in
such a search.

I always recommend to write your reply in such a way that when you print
it, and read it 3 months later you're able to understand the message when
you read it top down.

> My comment about John being funny in fact was a generic comment, and
> while the remainder of my response was on topic - it still was not in
> response to 1 specific statement or another.  Quoting previous comments
> is useful, but not required to be in thread - IMHO.

True, but if it's not a reply to the previous person, then you might want
to start a new thread, or you're replying to the wrong person.

--
John                               MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
                           personal page:       http://johnbokma.com/