Could not find platform independent libraries

pythonhelpneeded sspivey at gmail.com
Mon May 1 16:33:13 EDT 2006

While building Python 2.4.3 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5, I'm getting the
error below.  The modules mentioned seem to be available in the Lib
subdirectory.  I've tried setting PYTHONHOME to the build directory
(/tmp/Python-2.4.3), it didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

# make
        case $MAKEFLAGS in \
        *-s*)  CC='cc' LDSHARED='cc -Wl,-G,-Bexport' OPT='-DNDEBUG -O'
./python -E ./setup.py -q build;; \
        *)  CC='cc' LDSHARED='cc -Wl,-G,-Bexport' OPT='-DNDEBUG -O'
./python -E ./setup.py build;; \
        esac
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./setup.py", line 6, in ?
    import sys, os, getopt, imp, re
ImportError: No module named os