Add file to zip, or replace file in zip

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Mon May 1 16:47:58 EDT 2006

Scott David Daniels wrote:

> Edward Elliott wrote:
>> Scott David Daniels wrote:
>  > ... You windows kids and your crazy data formats.
> There were a few oth OS's than Linux and Windows.  Maybe you
> should call me "you crazy Tenex kid."

Windows popularized the zip format, but if you insist:
You crazy Tenex kids, with your char-at-a-time raw password checking and
new-fangled virtual memory.  Back in my day, all we had was Multics and we
liked it that way.

Despite having no memory prior to the Apple II, I do know a bit of history.

> Knuth says, "the fastest
> way to search is to know where to go." -- Zips have locations of
> files, and you needn't read in a lot of a huge zip to find and
> extract a couple of files.

You whippersnappers and your random access, always in such a hurry to get
your data.  You want faster search, just wait a few machine generations.