Using python for a CAD program

baalbek rcs at bgoark.no
Tue May 16 18:41:25 EDT 2006

> 1.  Databases.  I don't mean sql type database, but design databases,

If you really want to revolutionize the CAD business, PLEASE don't base
your CAD system on a file based system (ala Autocad).

CAD systems available today (Autocad, Archicad, Architectural Desktop,
etc) have one huge flaw: they don't store data to a SQL database, but to
binary files.

This fact has created so much problems (user problems as well as
technical problems) in projects that involve several people.

I know, I have 15 years of experience supporting teams using CAD, as
well as CAD programming (mostly C++).

The fact that Autodesk still to this day has not produced an Autocad
version for a SQL database, shows how little innovation there is in
large companies.

I don't know where to start to list the numerous problems with a CAD
system based on raw binary files, so I won't bother.

Regards, and Good Luck,
Baalbek