Zope Guru...

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Wed May 3 13:07:46 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.5251.1146641484.27775.python-list at python.org>,
bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>Hi..
>
>In doing some research into Workflow apps regarding document management, I
>came across Zope. Given that it's Python Based, I figured I'd shout to the
>group here...
>
>Are there any Zope gurus that I can talk to regarding Zope, and what it
>does/how it works? In particular, I'm looking for an app that I could use to
>manage a pretty simple workflow for a bunch of scripts that are going to be
>developed.
>
>I envision having a number of people on the team, each developing/testing
>various scripts. I then need to somehow manage the process of the scripts
>going from development to testing to production, which is the workflow. At
>the same time, I have to implement/enforce some form of Access control for
>the users, so they don't screw up with files that they shouldn't touch...
>
>If there's anyone on this list that I could talk to, I'd appreciate it..
			.
			.
			.
We have implemented workflow for several government agencies
that have moved their granting process on-line.  These are
GREAT applications, in that they're such an advance on the
paper-and-FAX systems they succeed.

What you describe certainly is feasible with Zope.  In this
regard, the nicest thing about Zope is that it's sufficiently
general-purpose and reliable that you won't be "caught" in a
dead end.  The bad thing is that it simply isn't as polished
for specific domains as one might like, and as seems to have
been achieved in some other communities ("shopping carts" for
PHP, for example--note I'm not ratifying their security).

Start by reading the documentation other follow-ups have al-
ready mentioned.