A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Mon May 15 14:19:16 EDT 2006

Ken Tilton wrote:

> Ben wrote:
>

>> Nothing you have described sounds that complicated, and you never come
>> up with concrete objections to other peoples code (apart that it took
>> 10 years to write in Lisp, so it must be really hard)
>

> Oh, now I have to spend an hour dissecting any code you people toss-off
> that does no more than pick the low-hanging fruit? I do not spend enough
> time on Usenet already? :)

I want to clarify something. I did look at the code. It was the same
thing we had with Cells after four-five hours. Yet the author admitted
he had looked at the Cells source, so he should have known he had not
implemented, inter alia, synapses, kid-slotting, ephemerals, optional
laziness, and worst of all he had omitted the data integrity mechanism
encapsulated by with-integrity. In the next exchange we discover he
missed the ability to author Python instances individually while
mistakenly thinking it was impossible.

Exactly how much time am I supposed to spend on someone not willing to
spend enough time to understand Cells? I recognize, tho, a kindred
spirit more interested in writing their own code than reading and
understanding someone else's. :)

You too are more eager to flame me over misperceived slights to The
Sacred Python than in Python having a wicked cool constraints package,
and I am wasting too much time on you. I recognize, tho, a fellow Usenet
dlamewar enthusiast. :)

kenny

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.