Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code ('semantic' vs. arbitrary indentation)

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Wed May 17 15:26:25 EDT 2006

Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:02:46 -0700 in comp.lang.python, "Carl J. Van
> Arsdall" <cvanarsdall at mvista.com> wrote:
>

>> Andy Sy wrote:

>>> This will break if someone tries to view my code using different
>>> tab settings from the one I'm using
>>>

>> Uh, no it won't.  It should be read in as "one tab and two spaces"
>> regardless of the tabstop setting.
>>

> Think about it a little harder.  What does that "one tab" mean?
>
> Assume the code was written by someone using 4-space tabs.  To them,
> the code is:
>
>    def sqlcall():
>    --->cursor.execute('select id, item, amount, field4, <etc>
>    --->--->--->--->...'from table1 where amount>100')
>
> (where -------> represents an 4-space tab and . represents a space)
>
> Which looks fine.  But if I then load the code into my editor with
> 3-space tabs, it looks like:
>
>    def sqlcall():
>    -->cursor.execute('select id, item, amount, field4, <etc>
>    -->-->-->-->...'from table1 where amount>100')
>
> Then my colleage loads it into his editor with 8-space tabs, and it
> looks like (assuming I didn't change it to make it look reasonable):
>
>    def sqlcall():
>    ------->cursor.execute('select id, item, amount, field4, <etc>
>    ------->------->------->------->...'from table1 where amount>100')

Ah, good point.  I was referring to it "breaking code".  It may look
different (which I know invalidates my original point), but it certainly
doesn't break code.
I don't really use multiline strings in my code, but I find when working
with other people I prefer the tab method.  For nothing else other than
"my indent is 2 whereas my coworker's is 4" and the use of tabs allows
us to throw things around much more easily without either of us having
to compromise on personal preference.

.c

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall