Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code ('semantic' vs. arbitrary indentation)

achates aylwyn at cantab.net
Wed May 17 15:39:50 EDT 2006

Dave Hansen wrote:
>However, to twist an observation I've read about C++, while it's
>clearly possible to use TABs in a sensible manner like this, it seems
>that no one does.

I think it's evident from this thread that quite a few people do that,
judging by the fact that my previous post explaining this was doubly
redundant by the time I got round to sending it.

Also we should remember that in Python, alignment only applies to
continuation lines and comments. Logical lines (the vast majority of
lines in a source file) can't be arbitraily aligned.