Install libraries only without the program itself

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Thu May 11 09:39:44 EDT 2006

Gregor Horvath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My application is a client/server in a LAN. I want to keep my programs
> .py files on a central File Server serving all clients. The clients
> should load those over the LAN every time they start the program since I
> expect that they are rapidly changing and I dont want to update each
> client seperatly.

Don't forget you can screw up running clients if you override old
version with a new one.

> On the clients there should only be python and the necessary libraries
> and third party modules (sqlobject etc.) installed.

I believe it's better to keep *everything* on the file server. Suppose
your OS is windows and suppose you want to keep everything in s:/tools.
The actions are:
1. Copy python with all 3rd party modules from c:/python24 to
s:/tools/python24-win32
2. Grab exemaker from http://effbot.org/zone/exemaker.htm, copy
exemaker.exe to s:/tools/win32/client.exe
3. Create little dispatcher s:/tools/win32/client.py:
#!s:/tools/python24-win32/python.exe
import sys
sys.path[0] = "s:/tools/client-1.0.0"
import client
4. Create your first version of s:/tools/client-1.0.0/client.py:
print "I'm a client version 1.0.0"
That's it. Now s:/tools/win32/client.exe is ready to go. I guess it's
obvious how to release version 1.0.1 If you need to support other
architectures or operating systems you just need to create tiny
dispatchers in directories s:/tools/linux, s:/tools/macosx ...