Python Programming Books?

Wed May 24 10:52:22 EDT 2006

Brian wrote:

> One book that I think you should definitely look at is Beginning Python
> from Novice to Professional.  I think that it is one of the best books
> out there on the subject, is an easy read, has clear and concise
> examples, and does a great job of explaining the whys without making
> you think you are reading a PhD thesis.

I disagree, and I'm surprised so many people think this book is that
great. I found it to be way too cursory of an introduction to the
language. Fortunately I had already read Learning Python, so Beginning
Python made sense to me, but even still, as I was reading it I kept
saying to myself "I know this passage here, or this sentence there,
would make no sense to me if I didn't already understand it from LP."
Beginning Python does not do a good job of explaining how Python works,
it only introduces all the parts of it, rather too quickly, IMO, for
someone just learning the language.