GladeGen and initializing widgets at startup

David Reed dreedmac at columbus.rr.com
Sat May 6 17:08:37 EDT 2006

On May 6, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Aengys wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Being struck by article 7421 of the linux journal
> (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7421), I'll tried to give it a
> go.
> Mainly because I have done some experiments with Glade and found that
> it is really easy to create good looking GUIs. On the other end, there
> is the GladeGen tool which helps you in building a skeleton in Python
> such that you only have to code the events. But being a newbie with
> Python as well as Glade I'm heavily dependent on documentation (mainly
> online  a big part being usenet). There I found that almost nobody
> seems to use it, or they don't have any problems with it. In this
> group
> there is only thread that has a reference to it!
>
> So my questions:
>
> Does anybody use GladeGen? If not, why?
>
> For those that do use it, where do I write the code which has to be
> executed when a window loads?  The thing is pretty basic here. I
> have a
> window with a treeview, and I simply want that treeview filled up when
> opening the window.
>
> Hoping for some echos...
>
> Aengys

I'm the author of it - I got a number (20-30 I think) of responses
from people using it and a few quick questions. I emailed the gnome-
python maintainer to see if they were interested in including it or
taking it over, but never heard back. If anyone wants to take it over
and extend it, you're welcome to. I believe Linux Journal maintained
copyright ownership for a few months after the publication but then
it reverts back to the author so I'll happily release it under the
GPL for anyone to extend. To answer your question, you can put your
code in the init method after the call to: GladeWindow.__init__ or
you can override the GladeWindow's show method in your class if you
want it to be called every time the window is shown. I often wrote a
method named "populate" to file in data in widgets and then called it
from the show method.

Dave