Question about raw string and regex

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Mar 24 00:22:19 EST 2006

On 24/03/2006 2:57 PM, jlowery at blarg.net wrote:
> Gotta love the attitude of people on .lang newsgroups....
>

> The unraw '\t' might work, but all the example in the tutorial use raw
> strings, so why not  be consistent in the example scripts?

classfix.py is not an *example* script. It is (was!) a *tool* script.

> 1.5.2?  Aren't we at 2.4.2 now?  So the regs documentation was pulled,
> yet the source code shipped with the installer still uses it?

You are missing the point. The whole *regex* module was deprecated
around 1.something. It was replaced by the *re* module. At some stage
the whole regex docs were "pulled". 1.5.2 is the latest version that I
have on my machine that still provided the docs for regex. The regs
attribute is documented there. When you said "Nothing in the Python lib
reference on the regs attribute for regex objects" you must have been
referring to the *re* documentation.

> How are
> people suppose to make heads or tails of a language when it ships with
> deprecated, undocumented code?

Here is line 3 of classfix.py:
# This script is obsolete -- it is kept for historical purposes only.

> sheesh.

Sheesh vobiscum :-)