Environmental Variables

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Mar 13 13:15:48 EST 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> The Amiga did have a means for such... It differentiated between
> local and global environment variables. Locals were kept in a process
> memory structure and behaved as they do on most other OSs... Globals,
> however, were short files maintained in ENV: (a logical name to a disk
> directory); so any process changing the file contents (whether
> explicitly using open/write/close,  or implicitly with SETENV name
> value) would be visible in all other processes. Locals were defined
> using just SET name value.

Well, the amiga lacked a MMU - so you could do _anything_ if you really
wanted :)

And I consider such a "feature" risky - think of buffer-overflows which
could be provoked in running processes with other user-rights.

But nonetheless I loved the AMIGA and its OS - actually I only moved to a PC
in 96 when I discovered that there was a OS (Linux) that appealed to me in
similar ways as the AMIGA-os did.

Diez