Environmental Variables

Sathyaish sathyaish at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 06:49:17 EST 2006

I recall now, the shells in Unix - a child inherited the variables
declared in its parent but not vice-versa. It works the same way in
DOS. So, I wasn't seeing it clearly earlier. I am seeing it clearly
now. I was imagining that the PYTHONPATH had some default value on
installation and was expecting to see it. And since it was an
*environmental* variable I was setting, I just expected it to turn up
in the entire environment, totally forgetting the scope of the
environment I was declaring it in - a process and not an OS.

Thanks.