An Efficient Scalar Class in Python

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Mar 23 17:06:29 EST 2006

On 23.03.2006, at 22:48, Ben Finney wrote:

> "uymqlp502 at sneakemail.com" <uymqlp502 at sneakemail.com> writes:
>
>> A Python class was designed to represent physical scalars and to
>> eliminate errors involving implied physical units (e.g., confusing
>> angular degrees and radians).
>
> This sounds like a useful abstraction; I'm not sure if there are
> established ways to do this, but I'd like to see something like this
> in PyPI.

Maybe not "established", but there are at least two packages with
similar functionality that have been around for a while:

	ScientificPython (module Scientific.Physics.PhysicalQuantities):
	http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/ScientificPython/

	Unum
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/unum/

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin (CEA-CNRS), CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France
Tel.: +33-1 69 08 79 25
Fax: +33-1 69 08 82 61
E-Mail: konrad.hinsen at cea.fr