running IDLE from another program?

Fri Mar 31 18:18:45 EST 2006

Kent Johnson wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>> If I want to write my code in a separate text editor (I like UltraEdit)
>> but then press a single button to have that code run in the IDLE
>> environment, is that possible? I know that you can configure UE to run
>> external tools, but I can't figure out how to run IDLE this way, because
>> when I check on its properties to find it's file path, it is just the
>> Python directory itself.
>
> You probably don't need to do that. Just run the file in python
> directly. I don't know UE, but when you configure an external tool, tell
> it to run python.exe and pass the current file as a command line parameter.
>
> Kent

I've tried a lot of combinations for the command line to execute, but
nothing is working. What format should it be in? Should it look like this:

C:\Python24\python.exe module   ?

or module.ext? With or without the path of the file?

I think some of the problem might be that I need to fix the module
search path also, but I don't know which format the UE tool needs to
execute the command.