RPC client class?

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:24:19 EST 2006

>From Dick Watson:
> We have a legacy device that exposes an RPC server. We have an RPCL
> defininition of its interface. We want to develop an RPC client of this
> interface in Python that will be usable in both Win32 and open systems
> environments.
>
> I can find some *very* dated references to a demo/rpc.py, but I can't find
> such a file on my Win Python install. There is an rpc.py in idle, but it
> doesn't seem to be a general purpose implementation. (I can find **lots** of
> references to xmlrpc.py, but the server predates all of this neato XML
> stuff. I also found the "Stackless" rpc.py; it wants to modify base Python.
> I'd rather not diverge from the stock Python.)

The "stackless" rpc.py is also not an implementation of Sun RPC.  It
just uses Stackless tasklets to enable direct Python function function
calls from server to client and vice versa.  Perhaps it was bad naming
on my part, but I assumed remote procedure calls was a general
technique rather than just a Sun RPC protocol.

Richard.