import, from and reload

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Thu Mar 2 16:48:07 EST 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, John Salerno wrote:

> Dave Benjamin wrote:
>
>> In general, "from X import *" should be avoided anyway, for reasons that
>> have been discussed many times in the past. The annoyance with reloading is
>> just one more reason. Better to just use "import X" in the first place.
>
> Thanks. I kind of figured it's better to use import instead of from anyway,
> but I was following along with some examples that use from (despite the fact
> that earlier in the book they even say that from is problematic and you
> should use import instead!)  :)

No problem. I stand by my original advice, but there is one semi-oneliner
that you might find useful:

reload(__import__('X')); from X import *

You could keep that in your clipboard and paste it into the interpreter
when you need to reload.

--
    .:[ dave benjamin -( ramen/sp00 )- http://spoomusic.com/ ]:.
    "one man's constant is another man's variable" - alan perlis