python2.4.2 + win95, import socket dll error

John Pote johnpote at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 15 20:09:24 EST 2006

Hi all,
Can someone throw some light on this problem? (is trying to run Python 2.4.2
on an old win95 box a reasonable thing to do?)

I keep my old win95 box for an old eprom programmer that won't plug into a
new box (needs an ISA socket!). Also use it for network testing. No problem
with Py 2.3 but wanting to use the latest Twisted I upgraded to 2.4.2.

Installing Mark Hammond's pywin32-207.win32-py2.4.exe (or prev version -205)
I get the following error message during the post install script bit of the
installation:-

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 365, in ?
  File "<string>", line 155, in install
  File "<string>", line 94, in LoadSystemModule
ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
functioning.
*** run_installscript: internal error 0xFFFFFFFF ***

When I try to run a script using the socket library (also trying to start
Stani's Python Editor) I get the following message:-

  File "C:\APPS\PYTHON\242\lib\SocketServer.py", line 132, in ?
    import socket
  File "C:\APPS\PYTHON\242\lib\socket.py", line 45, in ?
    import _socket
ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run this
applic
ation cannot be found.

Is it the same dll in both cases, any idea what it might be and where could
I find a copy?

Many thanks,

John Pote