Write a GUI for a python script?

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 02:37:33 EST 2006

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-03-02, sjdevnull at yahoo.com <sjdevnull at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Note that wxWindows wraps native widgets,
>
> Not on Linux/KDE systems.  ;)

Right, I followed that with a clarification of supported systems.  You
can use wxwindows with gtk-qt to get a Qt-ish look, although that's not
ideal.

The issue with wxqt is licensing; wxWindows is open-source, but not GPL
(it allows closed-source app development); gtk is LGPL'd so that's not
an issue, but Qt is GPL'd.  Julian Smart (wxwindows developer)
contacted Troll for license clarifications but didn't get a response
(or not a useful one, I can't remember the specifics).  There's no
ideological opposition to a qt implementation if the licensing can be
resolved (indeed they're willing to work with fully closed-source
toolkits, they just don't want to force application developers using
their toolkit to use a particular license).