RPC client class?

Dick Watson littlegreengecko at mind-enufalready-spring.com
Thu Mar 2 23:22:08 EST 2006

We have a legacy device that exposes an RPC server. We have an RPCL
defininition of its interface. We want to develop an RPC client of this
interface in Python that will be usable in both Win32 and open systems
environments.

I can find some *very* dated references to a demo/rpc.py, but I can't find
such a file on my Win Python install. There is an rpc.py in idle, but it
doesn't seem to be a general purpose implementation. (I can find **lots** of
references to xmlrpc.py, but the server predates all of this neato XML
stuff. I also found the "Stackless" rpc.py; it wants to modify base Python.
I'd rather not diverge from the stock Python.)

Is there a Python module suitable for RPC client creation? Where? Why is
this not a standard class? Are we nuts to pursue this course?