how do you move to a new line in your text editor?

Xavier Morel xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Mon Mar 6 11:31:13 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> So I'm wondering, how do you all handle moving around in your code in
> cases like this? Is there some sort of consistency to these things that
> you can write rules for your text editor to know when to outdent? It
> doesn't seem like you can do this reliably, though.
Under windows, I'm using SciTE which is an extremely lightweight editor,
but it handlers "smart unindent": pressing backspace at the beginning of
a line unindents one level, whether you're indenting with tabs (and need
to remove a tab) or space (and need to remove 2, 4, 8 spaces) doesn't
matter. And since SciTE also has Visual Studio's smart home key (home
brings you first at the beginning of the text == current indent, then at
the beginning of the line itself == indent level 0)

SciTE also features "somewhat smart" indent from time to time: it
indents one level after a ":". This is good for if/else/while/..., but
it also indents one level after ":" in dicts, which is way bad.
Oh, and it automatically unindents one level after a "return" statement.

Other than that, SciTE doesn't really "understand" python, if you want a
really pythonic editor you need to check Stani's Python Editor, WingsIDE
or Komodo.