Cheese Shop: some history for the new-comers

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Mon Mar 13 04:45:31 EST 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:50:26 +1100,
> 	richard <richardjones at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>>So I did what people always do in this situation, I asked Barry Warsaw to
>>name. it. And he did, "Cheese Shop". I liked the name, so it was done. When
>>the new pydotorg machines went live last year, so too did the name
>>cheeseshop.python.org
>

> Given the endless whiny complaints about the name, though, I think we
> should just give up and go back to PyPI (pronounced 'Pippy').

When short obscure names are bad in programming, whay are they good in
general communication.

"Python Packages" is too obvious perhaps?

When we start using eggs will it then be renamed to "Dairy Shop" or
perhaps "Daisy" to make it obscure? Or the "Chickens Nest"?

Please. If it is meant to be used and understood, both Cheeseshop and
Pypi are bad names.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/