Python Evangelism

John Pote johnpote at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 20:23:09 EST 2006

If I get time I'll expand my thoughts and experiences but for now,
Don't know what Ruby on Rails is but it's catchy and current high volume of
interest makes me think - I should look into it. Django, skip reading this
thread before and I had not even picked up it was a Python product (still
don't know what it is too little time to look!)

Python seems to concentrate on language development rather than environment
development. Programmer productivity depends much more on the associated
environment - docs, code editor, libraries, wysiwyg GUI designer -  than the
language. So far my experience is that the further away from the core
language the worst things get. My principle moan about the standard library
is lack of formal stating of ALL exceptions that can be thrown by a module.
Sometimes the detail is burried in the general text about the module which
makes it difficult to eye ball quickly. httplib does not mention any of the
socket module exceptions that can be thrown. This makes it difficult to
write stable bullet proof code.

Finding myself slowed down too much by hand coding tkinter (and modifying it
weeks later) I've switched to wxPython and Glade. Certainly better but
wxPython docs are not ideal. (only reason for switching is lack of wysiwyg
GUI designer for it)

I get a myApp.pyw working on one machine. Copy to another and maybe forget
something (usually updating my own python library so a header import fails)
and what happens? nothing if tkinter has not yet fired up the gui. and even
if it has and there's an uncaught exception the app just closes. Any error
message and traceback are dumped because there's no dos box.

On the positive side Twisted (I have the docs and book) looks exactly what I
need in all respects.

I think the language has already made Python, the rest is down to its
'environment'.

Best wishes to everyone,

John Pote

news:m2wtesen95.fsf at lexx.mit.edu...